Wednesday 3 July 2019

Hypervigilance, obsessions and anxiety

Since his stroke Steve is hyper vigilant and is constantly worrying about me and Beano and the rest of the world. He sees danger everywhere. Today a large Labrador walked on to our boat and ate Beano's breakfast. Steve was in full on panic mode, the dog was very friendly but too powerful for his owner. Steve wanted me to stop the dog but he was just to big and he did leave as soon as he'd eaten.

Steve worries we will have an accident of some sort unless he is constantly on guard. He is forever telling me I must be AWARE, what of I'm not sure. This is exhausting for both me and Steve, Beano however is totally unmoved by Steve's as concern.

Steve is also obsessive and witters on endlessly, Monday it was the solar panels, he checked and rechecked them, constantly telling me there was something wrong, there wasn't!

Tuesday's obsession was water, he spent most of the day calculating how much water we use and getting a different answer each time.

We did manage to shop today and move off the marina, we've only traveled a few hundred yards but we struggled to find somewhere with deep enough water. When we did find somewhere Steve couldn't remember how to get on to the bank. I'm stood hanging on to the centre rope yelling 'Gangplank, use the gangplank'.

This morning we talked about today's move and I suggested once we had moved and moored we should stay put for the fourteen days we are allowed. Steve agreed, but once moored he started planning another move tomorrow, I reminded him that we had decided to stay put. He took some persuading but eventually agreed. No doubt he will get up tomorrow and want to move again.

Steve is suffering badly with fatigue but will insist on pushing himself which makes the fatigue worse. He seems unable to sit still, he is up and down from his chair constantly until he walks around the boat patting things and making sure everything is in the correct place checking and rechecking.

12 comments:

justjill said...

Oh dear, so wearing for you both. Is there any support around?

Hard up Hester said...

Absolutely none whatsoever, all we can do is keep buggering on.

JanF said...

I hope you can persuade him to stay put for the fortnight, it would be such a help.

Hard up Hester said...

I will certainly try.

Susan Heather said...

Oh dear - that all sounds so much like my late husbands dementia. Hard work.

Cheryl said...

I am sorry. Do you think since he can't control some things he focuses on others. It must be draining for you.

Living Alone in Your 60's said...

It all sounds very taxing and tiring for you both. My husband's short term memory loss is the same.

kate steeper said...

have to laugh or we would cry ...today we are going to pick up a trailer hes bought on ebay , not a clue why, he has a trailer already which he had forgotten about ...ho hum

lynda said...

Is he on anti- anxiety meds? Sounds like he needs them for BOTH your sakes....my mom was on Adevan....

Carol Caldwell said...

It must be exhausting for both of you and taking an awful lot of patience on your part.

Pat said...

You have my sympathy, it's so wearying. It's no fun being an unqualified and unpaid carer, seven days a week, 24 hours a day with no time off. No salary, no annual leave. Absolutely no support whatsoever.

Husband was prescribed Propranolol for his anxiety, it helps. Doesn't do anything for the dementia though.

Keep plodding on Hester and give Beano a cuddle. Our dog gets lots of cuddles from me now husband has lost his emotions and doesn't want a hug anymore.

An idea about the mooring, would writing it down help - "Moored here for 14 days, no moving until day/date. It wouldn't work for my husband as he doesn't know the day or date but it may be worth a try for you?

Hard up Hester said...

Pat, Steve doesn't know what day it is either, but I will write it on the calendar, that might help, thanks.

Carol, I have very little patience, I grit my teeth a lot.

Lynda, he's on amitriptyline, has been since his mum died a few years back.


Oh heavens Kate, just what you need.

Going it alone, yes it is, but its the same for many people.

Cheryl, yes I've often thought that.

Sue Heather, dementia is a bugger isn't it.

It's been rough.

We've had a few difficult days. The weather has been nice and sunny though not particularly warm. I'm not sure what triggered Steve ...