Wednesday 8 January 2020

Raising children

I tried to ensure my children had a good start in life.

I always lead by example, do as I do, never do as I say.

I taught them all to cook though one of my son's in law is a chef, so one DD doesn't cook often now.

I taught all of them the basics of sewing. They used to sit on the floor underneath the table and work the foot pedal of my sewing machine when I was sewing.

I read aloud to them until they started secondary school and they still all read for pleasure.

I introduced all of them to live theatre including Shakespeare's plays, they all still enjoy live theatre and one of them now does stand up comedy.

I taught them all the envelope budgeting system and one of them still uses it.

I got all of them through driving tests.

I was very blunt and honest about sex and it's consequences with regards pregnancy and disease.

I taught them all good manners.

I knocked before I went into their bedrooms.

I treated them with respect and expected the same in return.

I know I made hundreds of mistakes but fortunately they all came through relatively unscathed.

Most of all I loved them and still do.

6 comments:

Margie from Toronto said...

Wish that there were more like you nowadays! They always sound as though they are a credit to you when you speak of them and you are still close - which speaks volumes.
Congratulations on a job well done!

Living Alone in Your 60's said...

A wonderful example of being a parent. Well done, I'm sure they're all a credit to you and know what you did for them, and love you very much. X

Eleanor said...

You have done your job as mother very well, and more besides. I'm sure your children appreciate all you've done for them.

The Weaver of Grass said...

A good list and plenty of food for thought there.

Theresa Y said...

Thats all any good Mom could do...

Sally said...

Hi Hester, sounds like you did a good job as a mum then and if we never made any mistakes in our lives it would be boring wouldn’t it as you learn from them and so do others. Your children are a credit to you and your grandchildren both birth born, fostered or adopted clearly love spending time with you so please accept that you did good.

Pavement special

On one of  yesterday's dog walks I stopped to talk to a South African lady. She has three small children and a small black dog. She aske...