Friday 24 January 2020

Blocked sink.

The kitchen sink was a bit sluggish when draining, I wasn't worried as I'm pretty careful what goes down it. There is no trap, it empties directly into the canal.

I decided to leave it until after breakfast, this was a big mistake as Steve noticed the water was draining slowly.

Cue much ranting and raving, he insisted it would now mean a new sink and new granite countertop.

So whilst Steve measured and ranted I finished eating my porridge. He then went online to price up the cost of a new sink and of having a length of granite cut to shape.

Much muttering and raving went on as he compared one website to another.

Meanwhile I moved the washing up bowl, cupped my hand over the plughole and pressed down. I did this twice and it cleared on the second press!

Steve does like to turn every happening into a total crisis, it can be exhausting at times.

If my cupped hand hadn't worked I had various other remedies I could have tried, but the simplest is often best.

8 comments:

Icey said...

This reminds me that my kitchen sink is rather slow - my husband is not careful over what gets tipped down it (grrrr!) so I will dig out the plunger when I get home and give it good working over.
I would try my hand but the plughole is large one and I don't think my hand will cover enough to make a seal.
Thanks for the timely poke to get up off my backside xx

the veg artist said...

I can't find a way of saying that every woman needs a plunger without laughing!

bbarna said...

I periodically dump an entire kettle of boiling water down the kitchen drain...clears things up smartly. Sounds like you had the problem well in hand, haha.
Barb

justjill said...

Soda crystals and hot water.

saraband said...

Bicarbonate of soda, white vinegar and a kettle of boiling water. Helps to keep it smelling sweet even if not actually blocked.

Hard up Hester said...

Lol, love the plunger comment Veg Artist.

LameWolf said...

It's a familiar tale - our fan heater went on the blink recently, so my husband was all for buying a new one (it was only a cheapie from Argos). While he went online to compare prices, I had the thing in bits, deployed a soft paintbrush, an old hankie and an air duster to clean the accumulated dust and grot out, and put it back together. It worked perfectly.
Men, eh?

Heleng said...

My hubby's the same as Steve, anything starts to play up and it's instantly all doom and gloom and we'll need a new one or it will cost a fortune to repair etc. I'm much more of a let's try everything to mend it first, or else, if safe, let's use it as it is until we can afford to replace it.

Beano goes to the vet.

My neighbour Harry very kindly gave Beano and I a lift to the vets  this morning. Beano's dew claws were very overgrown. Time was I'...