Friday 20 December 2019

Memories

I was told, after the event that I had been expect to attend the Christmas meal with Steve. I played dumb but actually I did know I was included in the invitation. I chose not to attend.

I had three different team leaders during my time there. The last one had no management skills whatsoever, she managed using the divide and conquer system, she had her two favourite staff members, the rest of the staff were treated very badly. This didn't affect me much on a day to day basis as my machinery was in a different part of the building.

This team leader and her way of implementing performance management were the reason I retired when I did. The team leaders favourites were given performance aims that they were already achieving, the rest of us were given performance aims that were unachievable such as to become proficient in software that was not available at school, one of my performance aims was to keep all consumables locked away at all times and to ensure that consumable were readily available between the hours of 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. I had no storage large enough to store the consumables and I finished work at 3:30! This is made my performance aims unachievable and would have eventually lead to disciplinary action. 

Every Christmas I was given boxes of chocolates and bottles of wine by grateful staff members. Three years before I left, the team leader sent an email to all staff saying that Christmas gifts were no longer to be given to individual staff but were to be given to front office where the team leader would share everything out equally. I received nothing, zilch, zero! This was embarrassing sometimes  as I was asked if I'd received a particular gift and I hadn't

I think the final straw was when I spoke to the team leader at midday to ask what time we were finishing as it was the last day of term. I'd completed all my work and so was twiddling my thumbs. The team leader told me to return to my room and she would let me know when she was closing the office. At 3:15 Steve noticed my car in the car park and came round to see what I was doing, I explained that'd been told I couldn't leave until I was given permission! The team leader and other staff had left at 1:30 without informing me.

Is it any wonder I didn't want to join in the Christmas meal!!

12 comments:

Kim said...

I had a very similar Executive HT.
Your memories are very similar to mine. I ended up with a nervous breakdown and left teaching.

Debdor said...

Bitch!!!

Lynda said...

Smart girl..I would not have gone either. That woman is a mean bully...
Enjoying your posts! Have a wonderful Christmas with your family.

zoeoutside said...

Sounds like my ex-manager :-) You MUST produce new intake guide one month before they arrive. No, I don't care if the other departments won't have the information you MUST include in it by then...

Col said...

Oooh, this rings a lot of bells with me, arranging nights out and 'forgetting' to tell me; every member of staff being invited to the 'evening do' at a colleagues wedding, apart from me; 'forgetting' my birthday, when I was the fool who arranged cards/gifts etc for everyone else; buying staff members expensive gifts for major birthdays, I got a bunch of flowers for my fiftieth; and finally, a very small amount in high street vouchers for my retirement present, no party, not even a small get together! However, by that point I didn't want anything from them, I just wanted to get away from them all!
I've spoken to a few ex colleagues when we've bumped into one another, but I certainly will never go out of my way to contact any of them!
There are some folk who just aren't worth our time or effort Sue, and we're far better off without them!
How could we soar like eagles when we were surrounded by pigeons???!!! X

flis said...

Too sodding right! (I read your great blog regularly and don't comment but I was furious with this so I did) x

ShellyC said...

Spiteful, selfish, bitch - among other things that come to mind.

Hard up Hester said...

I was more annoyed that someone with such shit management skills was in such a position. I managed staff myself when I ran my own business and would not have treated people that way.

Living Alone in Your 60's said...

What a bitch, I hope her Christmas is merry and bright NOT! Why do people do that...out of jealousy for your. I found that itv program Sticks and Stones hard to watch.

VC said...

What a complete cow! Some people are just such crap human beings they are not worth worrying about. I would have thanked them for the invitation but advised them that I would not be coming because said staff member had treated me so poorly and unfairly that I had felt I had to retire sooner than I would have had she not been there. Let them worry about possible legal action even if you aren't going to take it. I'm known for speaking my mind, sometimes to my detriment but it means I don't take any crap!

VC said...

Col, your post makes me feel so sad that nobody there stuck up for you, why must people be so mean? I often feel I'm not liked by some because I speak my mind but if I don't like them it doesn't bother me too much. Other people do like me so I figure I can't be all bad. I'd rather have a few really good friends who stick by me and who I stick by through thick and thin than a load of 'acquaintances' who are fair weather friends.

Col said...

VC, It didn't bother me unduly, I have three friends whom I have known since primary school (we're all retired now) and they seem to like me well enough, so I must be okay(ish)!
I really don't know why some people have to be so bitchy, but I got through it without any ill effects, and never have to see or speak to any of them ever again if I choose not to.
Actually, I saw an ex colleague in a shop a few weeks ago, I made a huge thing of smiling broadly and walking towards her; she put her shopping down on a nearby table and practically ran out of the shop! I think that counts as a win for me!

Wardrobe

We have a wardrobe in the bedroom that was left by the previous resident. It is perfectly sound but it smells of stinky feet. I've tried...